Sunday 7 September 2008

Greenbelt: Music 2004

So, after personal events that occurred in 2003 which meant I didn't attend the festival that year, I decided to give GB one more go, encouraged a lot by Jer. After knowing how different the environment of the festival had become, I think this allowed to me to look deeper into how the modern festival was and compare with its and My heyday of the Eighties. 

I was still disappointed that music was the main event of GB as evidenced by the fact the main stage was still in the 'cowshed'. It just didn't seem right to me, or conducive to a full on, inspiring musical experience. I know that GB was worried about noise pollution and that this limited where a stage could be. Ah well, i'd suck it and see.

It was the year that I realised GB was an event for exploration of the new, as there weren't many names that I recognised. I spent a lot of time in the performance cafe, the underground seemed a bit too 'young' though I ventured in there occasionally. 2002 was the year I discovered Steve Lawson and Lies Damned Lies (LDL who had managed to pass me by in earlier festivals), so they were something to look out for, and I did! 2004 was also the first year that GB could use the newly completed Centaur, and I have to say it is probably my favourite venue there, despite the usual horrendously long queues!

It was the year of Pure Reason Revolution for me too. Having picked up their early singles after reading a review in the Times, it was the must see band for me that year, and they didn't disappoint. Looking through the programme for that year, I see I missed Julie Lee, whose sets I enjoyed immensely this year.

Jer dragged me along to see Bryn Haworth, a name I did recognise on the Arena stage. t was just him, no band unfortunately, and a long way from the ubiquitous  'We're All One' that soundtracked GB in the eighties. Managed to see Martyn Joseph, who I'd supported at a concert on the Isle of Wight with the Wightlight Band in the |Eighties.

there were lots of other bands I dipped into there, but the 2004 greenbelt Festival was really a time of transition for me, recognising the new shape of the festival and what it would mean personally for me. It was the first real awakening that nostalgia is fine, but there is equal joy in the new, and was the beginning of a journey that finds me where I am today, confident, capable and finally allowing myself to like me! Good ol' Greenbelt!

And 2004 was the year I saw that little notice asking for help in the Monster Music stall.........

3 comments:

Holy Famoley said...

Can't wait for the next thrilling instalment...

StumpyBunker said...

Its coming! Didn't realize i was starting to do year by year though!

StumpyBunker said...

Apparently Pure Reason Revolution played at the 2005 festival, i'm getting ahead of myself!